Re: bbe sonic maximizer

They've made several versions, and the one Jeff's considering is the pedal.

I've got one of the rackmount versions, and haven't really used it in
quite a long time. I found that a lot of the mixes I used it on (mostly in
the late 80's/early 90's) had a real harshness to the high end that was
pretty abrasive. It was probably not as much the fault of the BBE as the
inaccurate monitors I was using to master, but I was finding that if I
brought it up to the point where I heard any difference at all while
mastering, it was too much when played back on other systems.

I do know a lot of folks swear by 'em, though, and my first thought when I
look at that pedal version (never having used it) is that as part of a
pedal chain it might be useful to bring in (or out, with the stomp of the
switch) some presence lost through the other pedals.

Similarly, I sometimes use a Boss Acoustic Simulator pedal not to make an
electric sound like an acoustic (it doesn't), but as a way to set up two
distinct foot-switchable tone settings, like one would do with EQ or by
selecting pickups.

-t-

http://www.myspace.com/nimbletunes
http://cdbaby.com/all/timnelson