Re: Videotaped Double Bass Loopin'

On Oct 22, 2008, at 12:53 PM, Todd Matthews wrote:

Hi everybody,

Thanks again for all the help for getting me on my way looping. I put
up a couple videos I taped of myself looping in my room. The first one
is a cover of Bjork's Unravel and the second one is a cover of Sweet
Child o Mine by Guns and Roses. In the sweet child one the volume of
the loops is much lower because I was using the audio from the
camcorder. In the Bjork one, the volume is much better because I
finally figured out how to record my session in Live as I'm looping.
Then I just used that audio instead of the camcorder audio. I'm still
using a mic to get the audio in the computer because I haven't figured
out a pickup solution but I understand so much more about pickups now
thanks to you guys and shouldn't have a problem figuring out the best
solution. Since I'm not playing for an audience and I'm using
headphones I'm thinking a mic is probably going to be the best sound
for an acoustic string instrument anyway.

I would love comments good or bad about my looping. I am new to this
so I could use any help you experienced loopers can provide.

I setup a page on Vimeo. So far it seems much better than you tube

Thank you for checking it out,

Todd Matthews

Great video posting Todd,

(I think) You are so right that vimeo.com is far better the YTube, as the stereo field "pops"  and supports the sound much much more.

The morning light is great in your room, btw. Adding a clamp lamp or other light on the bass (I'm sure you've figured this already) would help enhance the 2nd vid's image quality.....

Thanks for sharing. Rich sounding!!

Scott Duncan
(Videographer/Looper)
Asheville, NC