OT Re: CONSTRAINED RANDOM Mick Karn

Rick Walker wrote:

> Daniel told me that Mick Karn adopted this rapid vibrato technique
> because he was insecure about hitting the pitches accurately.
> I laughed out loud at that wonderful notion as I love Mick Karn's
> rubbery approach.

I love his playing too!
By observation, I'd say he's not so good at playing in tune.
His tasty use of flanger/chorus may be in part to hide that.
Also, his control of dynamics is done for him by compressor,
which means that we hear at one level all those differences
in tone that a bass produces when played with varying strength.
This also adds a lot of interest to his sound, all those little
flicks and pings coming out clearly.

...and furthermore, he uses a lot of open string notes, pretty
much regardless of the key of the music.
(just try it, starting in C# half way up the neck, instant Karn)

..but his sense of rhythm and originality is astounding,
the overall result is that he's (imo) essential listening.

andy butler