From: Mech <mech@m3ch.net>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 2:09:06 AM
Subject: Re: OT: VG-99 & GR-300 (was: Moog Guitar)

At 4:12 PM -0700 10/28/08, George Ludwig wrote:
>  >Best things about it were the zero latency
>
> The GR300 still beats the modeling on latency. Wayne Joness (a brilliant
>guitar synth geek) did some latency testing. You can see his results here:
>
><http://www.joness.com/gr300/MIDI_SPEED.htm>http://www.joness.com/gr300/MIDI_SPEED.htm
>
> Basically, the GR300 is still almost twice as fast as the modeller in
>the VG-88. I can't imagine the VG-8 did any better. And if you used the
>polyphonic pitch, the VG-88 gets even slower.

Wayne Jones is great as a GR-300 resource.  Since it seems somewhat
topical (and since nobody's posted it yet), here's a very recent article
he wrote for the November issue of Premier Guitar magazine. He gives a
critical head-to-head between a real GR-300 and the GR-300 emulation in
the VG-99:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Nov/Return_of_a_Legend_Does_the_VG_99_Live_Up_to_the_GR_300.aspx

In short, he concludes that, for the most part, the VG-99 is a worthy
replication of the GR-300.  It also addresses the latency issue with the
VG in relation to the GR-300 emulation.

FWIW, the only time I notice *any* latency is when I'm using the GR
algorithm (that one's a bit of a CPU hog), and even then it's not
insurmountable.  Every other aspect of the instrument performs faster than
snot, or at least as fast as I can play.  So I'd use his latency figures
given for the VG-99 in this article as a theoretical maximum.

    --m.
-- _____
"when you think your dreams are shattered, it's time to dream new dreams"