Re: Articles on Live Looping as Compositional Tool

Here are some of the resources I have been using in my MFA.

While not on  looping - this might be useful as it talks about the
origins of using the term instant composition instead of
improvisation: http://www.icporchestra.com/

I've also found the articles in DJ Spooky - aka Paul Miller's new book
that he edited, "Sound Unbound" very interesting.
http://www.djspooky.com/articles.php
  Deals more with sampling than looping but there are many crossovers.

I'm using a bit of Giles Deleuze as well. His book Difference and
Repetition which I find a bit harder to get through or a great article
in A Thousdand Plateaus called "On the Refrain".  Also using Henri
Bergson's concept of intuition as a way to connect improvisation to
philosophical musings.  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuition_(Bergson)

My thesis will be focused on the more generalized concept of the
relationship between improvisation and composition but hope some of
these ideas are useful. Looping brings with it a stronger sense of
form than open improvisation due to the nature of repetition - but the
core idea that one is composing and not merely making random stuff up
is the same.

Stefan