Re: Instant Composition

Raul Bonell schrieb:
> And what about Cage ideas on improvising?
> I think he didn't like the regular jazz improv. method,
> but i remember to have read he found a way that
> proved o.k. for improvising...

Cage was the most radical of the whole pack. The regular jazz
improvisation just would not interest him. He was much into Zen and
philosophy and his compositions would point to that. He was more
interested in awareness about what's happening around of a musician. His
instructions would incorporate chance operations, which neither carry
any expression of a musician nor give space to expression.

But he might be interested in consciousness of mind, imagine a bow
master dart the arrow closed eyes to hit the mark...

I'd say he was not interested in improvisation in a classical sense, as
form of expression and simple choice of a limited palette.

His work was closer to works of other arts like Joseph Beuys...

The one of the big names who did deal with improvisation was Stockhausen
with his concept of intuitive music. At least in his early days. Later
he wanted much more control...

Stefan

--
Les Ondes Mémorielles----x-------