Re: a moronic question

Quoting Bruce Gilman <cuica@interworld.net>:

> If you write or play with samples, let's say string samples, are you
> using synthesized sounds?
>

> Again my apologies for interrupting,
> B.G.

This can be kind of a grey area.  Once a sample is in memory, it can
be processed (with filters, envelopes, etc.) the same as any signal
source.

I guess what I'm saying is... once a sample is loaded, looped, and
mapped then it treated the same as a simple (single-cycle) sample.

On my primary keyboard: a Kurzweil 2600, all the signals (except for a
sawtooth and sine waves) are samples -- some just single cycle samples
of simple (synthesizer) waveforms.

Often times I will layer samples with sythesized sounds.  For example,
I have doubled some brass samples with bright waveforms just to
"fatten up" the sound a bit.

This is an interesting question... you will likely get a variety of
opinions on this topic -- varying with the individual approaches of
people.

-- Kevin