Re: a moronic question

> Michael Noble wrote:
> Similarly, wavetable synthesis, which I don't
> claim to understand in technical detail, involves synthesis based on
> sampling.  It is also not difficult to conceive of recombinant
> sampling techniques that will generate wholly new sounds based on
> sample mixing at anywhere from the sample level of microsound to the
> sonic event level.  In thus respect, a dualism as stated is possibly
> too simplistic.

Most workstation like synthesizers uses this approach to synthesize
sounds. So
I would say that a synthetic sound can be produced with both a classic
waveform (sinus, square, sawtooth) and a sample. Keep in mind that most of
these very short samples are useless on its own, only when you threat them
as a complex wave form and synthesize them using filters, envelopes and
modulation etc

Wavetable synthesis is good example of applying sample technology in
synthesis. The PPG Wave from Germany was the first commercially available
wavetable synthesizer, should have been in the late 70's. It took until
1985 before Roland released the first synth (D-50) using rom-sampling
technology in a way we still use it today in both hard and soft synths.
---
Sjaak
http://www.livelooping.be/
http://www.overgaauw.be/
http://www.myspace.com/sjaakovergaauw

---
Reeds meer dan 2000 Scarlet klanten betalen geen abonnement meer!
Doe mee en surf ook gratis! >> http://www.scarlet.be/nl/mgm