Re: Semi-OT: Prehistoric looping?

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 12:25 AM,  <mike@michaelplishka.com> wrote:
> http://thecavewall.posterous.com/the-sounds-of-stones-not-rolli
>
> Has anyone done any music using singing stones?
>
> peace,
>
> plish

Yes. About 18 months ago I visited the island Gotland in the Baltic
sea between Sweden and Finland/Russia etc. There was a rather big
singing stone there, like 2 meters long and flat on the top. We played
it and I recorded, even did a stupid piece in Ableton Live from it,
but the sound wasn't much compared to human crafted instruments. Quite
stiff actually. But the interesting part was to read all stories from
past centuries of what have happened around that stone. This island
once was the commercial center for the whole north European region,
before the Hansa based in Lûbeck took over. There were so many crazy
stories about angels and saints connected to that stone, only further
convincing me that life must have been extremely boring in during the
pre laptop ages.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen