Re: learning

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 6:38 AM, Raul Bonell <raul.bonell@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... which's your method(s) for progressing as a
> musician? where does the principal input comes from that makes you
> grow?

Some things that have worked well for me:

- Play together with musicians that are more experienced and better
than yourself.
- Accept difficult tasks and fulfill them (concerts, recordings,
compositions)
- Never believe that you do not have inspiration. Inspiration is
there, as always, inside you. Shut up and go find it!
- Alternate between playing different instruments
- When you play with others, do not play what they play. Find the
"holes" where you can fit something else in.
- Apply "questions and answers" attitude to your playing (and composing).
- When playing funky, do not play every note. But still THINK them.
Just leave them out on your physical instrument but keep the groove
within going, and your ass will follow.... ;-)
- When playing, do not listen to your own instrument but to everything
around it.
- When playing, do not concentrate on the present moment. Try
listening to the music that will happen ten seconds into the future.
- Do not play your instrument - play your music!

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)