Re: ART Regular Output vs. Inspiration

>These days, everything goes through the PA. What did it sound like when
>only drums and vox went through the PA?

It very much depended on where in the audience you were.  I started going to concerts in 1977.  I was into being at the front of the stage.  The sound there pretty much sucked.  All you could hear was the guitar and bass amps.  I saw ZZTop, all I could hear was Billy G.  Jefferson Starship.  Cool, but I couldn't hear Grace at all.  The more shows I went to, the more I realized that the best place to stand (if it was festival style seating) was as close to the soundboard as you could get.  The good party was in the front, the good sound was not.

I think everything going through the PA gives a better distributed sound through out the venue.  You'll still get good spots and bad, but the range from good to bad is not so severe.

Some of the best sounding shows I've ever been to have been recently.  Tool, King Crimson, Rush, Dream Theater.  And the worst were back in the 70's - Van Halen, Starship.  Though there were some outstanding sounding shows back then too.  As long as I wasn't in party central by the stage. :)