Re: Performing with Multiple Looped Sections

Thanks, Per, and everyone else for helping me out.

I just downloaded Mobius and got it running. I'm a bit overwhelmed to tell you the truth - but very excited :) I think it could be exactly what I need.
I plan on spending some time with the manual and figuring things out. I'll most likely run into some roadblocks along the way, so I hope you guys can help me out if I run into trouble.

Thanks again!

- Steven

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 12:09 AM, Steven K <makemusic44@gmail.com> wrote:
> Per, I received a blank e-mail from you. Wasn't sure if your message was
> accidently deleted or not.

...the latest fashion in Social Networking! I'm so in...

;-)

> I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions when you get a chance. Do you
> run Mobius on its own or within a host program like Live?

Within a program not like Live: Plogue Bidule. The reasons for using
Bidule rather than Live are two: (1) I want to set the tempo by the
first loop I create - as opposed to having to start playing in the
tempo Live runs at (Live is a lousy slave mode tempo follower) - and
(2) I want to use the host as an "effect rack router/mixer" pre looper
and only tax the CPU with the effect chain I'm actually playing
through (while all others are muted until I call up another effect
chain). In my experience Bidule meets both these preferences better
than any other host. So far, this is happening in Windows XP, and it
is sort of my "plan B" backup looper.

My Plan A main looper is Mobius standalone in Mac OSX. I use Apple's
MainStage as my virtual effect rack that my instrument signal goes
into first. From MainStage it goes out through two physical stereo
busses, the main house PA line and a loop-back cable that feeds the
MainStage output back into the laptop and into the looper Mobuse. Then
the loops (not my direct signal) is added to the main house PA output.
So I'm actually running two standalone applications on the MacBook and
route the signal through the first one and into the next one.

When Mobius VST becomes available I may skip over MainSTage to build
something similar to that application in Bidule, to sort of repliicate
my Mobius VST/Bidule Windows XP setup. The reason for sticking with
Mac is because I like the plug-ins from SoundToys. com and from
Michael Norris and they are not available for Windows.

> And do you have
> any knowledge of how well it runs on a Mac?

Almost as good as the Windows version. Only two minor bad sides on Mac
so far: Sometimes when kicking in a script that is programmed to
launch on the next Cycle cusp the audio has a hick-up instead of
launching the script. But Moubius ain't stupid, he remembers his
precious task and launches the script on the next Cycle cusp - not at
all depressed by the fact that he is by then one Cycle late.  The
other down-side on Mac (so far, all this will be fixed soon I bet) is
that the circling Pacman radars that indicate the loop's position has
been replaced by pumping color bulbs on Mac - not as informative as
the original Windows graphic but definitely more trippy ;-)

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)