Re: distortion, overdrive,fuzz,crunch,special sauce, secret goo

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Krispen Hartung <info@krispenhartung.com> wrote:
 My point is that one is not a better musician for being able to play fast and clean through a non-distorted amp, useful a skill as that may be.

These hypothetical metal players have picked the tools that best allow them to get across what they want to say, and the fact that it doesn't sound so great to you when one imposes an arbitrary condition (clean channel!) upon them doesn't really mean...anything.  The amp and its settings are part of their equation, not just an afterthought.

Forget the bass/lute example, I could hand you an archtop with high action and a .017 set a la Charlie Christian and your ability to cleanly and quickly execute your ideas would be severely impacted from your preferred setup.  Does that mean your technique's lacking and you're hiding behind a soft setup, or that it's not the right or preferred tool for the job?

TH
Yeah, but you probably also can't play your articulate clean ideas with much heavier strings and higher action than you're currently using

Yes, I also can't articulate my clean ideas as well with a bass guitar or a lute. What is the point?   Pick any electric guitar that is setup the way you like. Play it clean, play it with lots of gain. That is the context I am working with here.  Test it. Test others. See how often the hypothesis is true.

--does that mean that your current instrument setup (whatever it might be) is generating an illusion of technique?  I don't think so.

No. In the case you bring up, the unusual string gauge and action is just hindering me. Use the strings and action you are comfortable with, then let the tests begin. Technique is technique.