Re: distortion, overdrive,fuzz,crunch,special sauce, secret goo

Forget the bass/lute example, I could hand you an archtop with high action and a .017 set a la Charlie Christian and your ability to cleanly and quickly execute your ideas would be severely impacted from your preferred setup.  Does that mean your technique's lacking and you're hiding behind a soft setup, or that it's not the right or preferred tool for the job?

It doesn't mean anything relative to my original point.  Stick to my example.  You can ad other factors ad infinitum to make the point you make above, but it misses the point.
Kris