Re: distortion, overdrive,fuzz,crunch,special sauce, secret goo

Yes, we all choose a voice with which to speak.  What I really find bothersome here is the incessant emphasis of mechanics over art, and single-minded effort to get us all to fall in line.

After all the execution, there only stands an event to which people have their own separate reactions. Some choose stark simplicity; others choose harmonic complexity (and I'm not talking about stacked tone clusters here, just the basic tone of a single note).

We go about our personal disciplines to accomplish these choices of expression, then we take it into the artistic world to make our statements. Fuzz, no fuzz, dark, brite . . . some of my favorite moments in guitar are ones thet defy technique; how did they do THAT?! moments, and I've had them myself and relish the experience of confounding myself in the act of expression.

So YEAH: As a guitar teacher, YES, I would encourage students to get a little technique and backbone, but I could give a shit once they hit the stage or recording studio. DID THEY MOVE ME OR NOT?