Re: Mahavishnu Orchestra: seminal recordings was: one guitarist one drummer

From: "tEd ® KiLLiAn" <tedkillian@charter.net>
>I never got to see the Mahvishnu Orchestra live.
>
> I got to see John McLaughlin live with his "Belo Horizonte" era group
>once
> . . . and a later group with Dennis Chambers (another marvelous
>drummer),
> organist Joey DeFrancesco, and some young bass player who's name I
>forget
> back in '97 or '98.
>
> I bought all the LPs, 8-tracks, cassettes and CDs that they (and he)
>ever
> put out though.
>
> My first introduction to John and the M.O. was the old "In Concert" TV
> program they used to put on in the US.
>
> Concert footage of them performing a couple of pieces from "Birds of
>Fire"
> was broadcast and I was totally hooked for life.
>
> I believe one of the pieces they did was "One Word" that had a rather
> mind-blowing drum solo in it.
>
> The thing I always loved about Johns early playing is that it was so
> fiery, passionate and furious as to be almost out of control at one
>moment
> . . . and then tender and lyrical a little later on in the same song.
>
> I am by no means anything near the musician McLaughlin is but that
>ability
> to couple fury and abandon with lyrical tenderness and sensitivity is
> something that has been a deep DNA-level influence on me.
>
> And what can you say about Billy Cobham?
>
> He's still out touring and making music too (I've a friend that plays in
> his band).
>
> McLaughlin has continued to make music too . . . but although I'm still
> fan, his music seems less passionate, and much more "in control", tidy
>and
> concise.
>
> I really regret not having been able to see the first version of the
>M.O.
> live in person.
>
> I hear there are some decent DVDs out now containing come of that
> material.
>
> If John and Billy ever went out and traded jab "toe-to-toe" like they
>did
> in those days they'd be a thing to see (and hear).
>
> Nostalgia? Yes in deed.
>
> Best regards,
>
> tEd ® KiLLiAn
>
> http://www.myspace.com/tedkillian
> http://www.reverbnation.com/tedkillian
> http://www.pfmentum.com/PFMCD007.html
> http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
> http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
> http://www.indiejazz.com/ProductDetailsView.aspx?ProductID=193
> http://guitarplayer.com/article/y2k6-international-live/Jun-07/27768
>
> Ted Killian's "Flux Aeterna" is also available at Apple iTunes
>
> "You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it
> turns out that God hates all the same people you do."  —  Anne Lamott
> (Traveling Mercies, although on page 22 of Bird by Bird she attributes
> this quote to "my priest friend Tom")

> [...]

I had the frenzied privilege (though I didn't fully appreciate it at the
time as I was a combination of heavily buzzed and concentrating on
sneaking
back home to NJ before my parents got home!) of seeing the concert in
Central Park from which the "Between Nothingness and Eternity" album was
taken, middle of August 1973.  I too remember the haircut situation with
John M. - seemed like dissonance from what he sounded like on the radio of
course... but when one saw him play, who @% cared if he had hair or not!

Sigh.