Re: special sauce, secret goo

Howdy, I've been lurking for some time, but haven't posted anything. This is a favorite topic of mine, the secret weapon armory, so now's as good a time as ever.

My "secret goo," as they say, is the Nord Micro Modular, which is just about the best little FX construction set ever. They're out of production now, replaced by the superb, but too expensive (for me) G2 Engine, but they were really the best processor ever, with a few notable shortcomings. They're not that good for classical distortion effects, and don't do delay (the G2 apparently fixes that one), but being able to just patch together crazy LFO/envelope/random/sequenced filters and tremelos and ring modulators and lots more like sonic Legos is just joyous. I've got a Ehx Stereo Memory Man to fill in the delay gap, and then it all goes into a Repeater. I'm usually more of a synth guy, but I've been playing with this crappy guitar I was given, and it's amazing how the Nord can make almost any sound source into something lush and worthwhile—true goo, there.

Joe Wall
http://vimeo.com/2451641 (a video of a relatively low-key jam with my rig)