SOME THOUGHTS ON ART FOR THE 2009 HOLIDAY SEASON

Hi all,

Ah, the big Festivus is only a few days away and before we all succumb to the material excesses of the holiday season (or succumb to deeper gloom because of the economic climate and lack of said excess, perhaps) I thought I'd share a blurb I ran across today on the net.

It's a "manifesto" (of sorts) proposed by a group called the Bread and Puppets Theater in Vermont.

Here goes . . .

PEOPLE have been THINKING too long that ART is a privilege of the MUSEUMS & the RICH. ART IS NOT BUSINESS! It does not belong to banks & fancy investors. ART IS FOOD. You can't EAT it BUT it FEEDS you. ART has to be CHEAP & available to EVERYBODY. It needs to be EVERYWHERE Because it is the INSIDE of the WORLD. ART SOOTHES PAIN! Art wakes up sleepers! ART FIGHTS AGAINST WAR AND STUPIDITY! ART SINGS HALLELUJAH! ART IS FOR KITCHENS! ART IS LIKE GOOD BREAD! Art is like green trees! Art is like white clouds in blue sky! ART IS CHEAP! HURRAH! (The Why Cheap Art Manifesto, Bread and Puppet Theatre, Vermont, 1984)

(The occasional use of uppercase emphasis is theirs and exactly how I found the quote)

I wonder what sort of discussion might ensue if it suggested that ART could be replaced by MUSIC or . . . to keep this post "on topic" . . . LOOPING (a Cheap Looping Manifesto, ha!) as silly as it might sound.

Hi-de-ho-ho-ho.!

Best regards,

tEd ® KiLLiAn

Creativity represents a miraculous coming together of the uninhibited energy of the child with its apparent opposite and enemy, the sense of order imposed on the disciplined adult intelligence. – Norman Podhoretz

http://www.myspace.com/tedkillian
http://www.reverbnation.com/tedkillian
http://www.pfmentum.com/PFMCD007.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://guitarplayer.com/article/y2k6-international-live/Jun-07/27768

Ted Killian's "Flux Aeterna" is also available at Apple iTunes