Devi Ever (was Re: distortion, overdrive,fuzz,crunch,specialsauce, secret goo)

At 8:50 AM -0500 12/20/08, Jeff Duke wrote:
>Arrghh! Now i want to put a Fuzz Factory into the loop of the Eye Of
>God! Did you check out that Peep also?
><http://www.deviever.com/fx/peep/index.html>http://www.deviever.com/fx/peep/index.html
> ,
>these people are just wrong! Too many boxes that I want to try.
>Thanks a bunch Mark, crap...http://www.deviever.com/fx/

Heheheheh!  Devi's stuff rox!

I've been over on her forums for a couple of years now (i use the
username 'glitch' over there), and it's a genuinely interesting
place.  It's one of only three web-forums that have ever consistently
held my attention, considering that I usually hate forums and stick
with email lists most of the time.  If you haven't stopped over, it's
worth a look.

Heck, I know Daryl even used to have a couple of sound samples of his
on the old Effector 13 page for the Truly Beautiful Disaster.
However, Devi used to re-design her site rather incessantly (not to
mention having now sold the E13 name and 4 pedal designs to OohLaLa
Mfg.) so you've probably got to take a look through archive.org to
find those samples now.

Anyway, I've got to own at least a dozen Devi pedals by this time --
they're addictive.  The only ones I'm using regularly though (because
most of them are in a storage locker on another continent) are my
Hyperion -- which is a modern updated take on the "Big Muff" sound
(it's even been nicknamed the "Big Muff Killer") -- running into my
US.  The US is a heavily saturated gated fuzz, which is excellent for
"velcro" type ripping fuzz sounds.  The Hype can cause a note to
sustain for days, then the US does an excellent job of tearing at the
edges as it begins to fade away.

BTW, many of Devi's pedals are dual circuits -- like the Manglers,
Rocket, or Shoegazer, for instance.  You can also achieve much the
same effect by combining two of the individual pedals, which is what
I usually opt for.  In fact, this is exactly why Devi started
publishing her Artifact line in the first place; as a collection of
inexpensive yet interesting fuzzes that could be mixed-and-matched
together, or swapped with your pals like trading cards.
Unfortunately, you do lose the joystick control from some models by
doing it that way.

Also, I just brought my 25 and ND back from the States.  The 25 is
one of the best treble/clean boosters I've ever used, and when paired
with a compressor (in this case, one of the little green Guyatones)
it's fantastic for kicking in that clean, country-like "chickin'
pickin'" tone.  One the other hand, the ND is just out of control:
bizarre, octavia, nearly-sitarlike, screaming fuzz.  There's only one
other Devi pedal that is said to get wilder -- the DN, which people
claim will melt your brain.  Although the Aenima gets a fair bit of
props too.

Speaking of the Peeps, they're great -- very cool for realtime
control.  I've even taken one and plugged it into the audio input on
a Torn's Peaker.  It'll get you all kinds of cool, light-controlled
self-oscillating tones.  Run that through a tape echo or simulator,
and you've got "Forbidden Planet" in the palm of your hand.

As for other *radical* fuzzes, I'd also throw a plug in for the
Lastgasp Art Labs SuperOscilloFuzz Hachijuhachi (88).  It's right up
there with Devi's pedals in terms of craziness.  And because of the
switch controls, it can cover the same ground that you might need
several individual boxes to accomplish (oscillating distortion,
octave modulations, velcro fuzz, etc.).

I've got a Zvex Machine, but don't find it nearly as musical(?!?) as
the Devi pedals.  Go figure.  It will get pretty far out there.  Just
sounds more like a broken Marshall amp, though.  Mebbe I should try
it with drums....

Finally, here's another plug for the good old Alesis Bitrman.  I just
can't seem to get enough bit-reduction, as well as the associated
artifacting that always seems to come from it.  BTW, anybody gotten a
chance to play with the Geiger Counter from WMD yet?

        --m.

(P.S. sorry for the late reply here.  i just got back from a 10-day
hell-trip to the united states.  never been so glad to leave a
country.  argh!)
--
_____
"we're no longer sure where home is; homesickness is our only guide"