Re: WAH WAHS

At 11:30 PM +0100 12/23/08, Rainer Straschill wrote:
>Rick,
>
>my wah suggestion will most probably not be any help...for most of the
>time, I've been using a Nord MicroModular for those typical "wah"
>purposes, along with the FilterFactory (when I still had it) - both of
>them also a lot with filter modulated by an LFO or step sequencer.

I'll certainly second Rainer's recommendation of the Nord MicroMod,
as well as the Electrix Filter Factory, however with one caveat on
the latter:

The Electrix Filter Queen -- the Filter Factory's little brother (er,
sister?) -- is slightly more user-friendly as a Wah replacement,
IMNSHO.  The main reason for this being that rather than MIDI, it can
be controlled by a plain old expression pedal.  So, those of you who
may have an issue with zipper-noise can consider that a viable option
for filter sweeps without having to worry about artifacts.

Like Rick, I really rather dislike the wildly-sweeping "funk wah"
style, also finding it rather, um, obnoxious.  However, there's a
whole list of good things to be said for the "parked wah" effect,
where the wah is merely used as a static tuned filter.

Oh, and finally...

At 4:46 PM +0100 12/24/08, Rainer Straschill wrote:
>ps: the usual. A merry fucking christmas to all of you!

As well, Happy Holidays to everyone else out there who may be
observing Chanukah, Yule/Saturnalia, Kwanzaa, Hogswatch, Festivus or
any other secular or non-secular celebration during this dark
winterish season (at least here in the northern hemisphere; you guys
in Australia can go sun yourself and have a beer  ;).

        --m.

--
_____
"when you think your dreams are shattered, it's time to dream new dreams"