Overdrives (was Re: distortion, overdrive,fuzz,crunch,specialsauce, secret goo)

At 8:33 AM -0800 12/20/08, William Walker wrote:
>  Me personally, I wasn't trying to make a value judgment of any
>kind, just stating an aesthetic preference. I like overdrive more
>than fuzz or distortion.

Two nice overdrives, from my experience:  First, the Keeley-modified
Blues Driver is just beautiful for this, IMNSHO.  'Nuff said, there.

Also, the Catalinbread Silver Kiss has a very nice OD circuit paired
with an interesting 3-band EQ.  The controls all interact with each
other (in a good way) so you've got to spend a while finding your
particular tone.  But there's a lot to play with there.  Also, it
cleans up nicely when backing off the volume knob on your guitar,
much the same way a good tube amp would.  Oh, and you can swap out
op-amps to experiment with different drive tones too.

        --m.
--
_____
"take one step outside yourself. the whole path lasts no longer than