Defining cultural moment editing

"> straddling the bridge between cultures of creation and cultures of editing"

LOL - Do you really see a difference? How about "creative editing"?
Why should that differ from "creative playing of a C minor scale"?

  I think an important distinction can be made between the experiential mode of making a an artistic gesture,which has certain interior flow qualities,the creative impulse is moving from within the artist to the outer world through whatever medium is (or media are)employed. (Media come between other things,in this case creator and audience/vidience,reader, diner,what have you)  No I'm not talking about merely executing scales,nonetheless doing so causes those sounds to sound,such an act is not editorial.
   The Editorial mode involves standing outside of already created bits,and making choices about what will or won't serve the criteria the editor is attempting,wether that criteria is known in advance or not.
  Both modes can be creative- or not. I know some people who can play and mix at the same time,but mixing a whole ensemble while performing even a rote  instrumental part is pretty difficult. Unless one Loops.
 The Jazz pianist Marylou Williams is said to have been able  to comp  with the left hand while writing a chart for another piece with the right hand and leading the band. I don't think I know anyone with that kind of ambidexterity.
  There's a guy,Matt Butler who does the Everyone Orchestra,at festivals,he gets a whole posse of players from other bands, puts them all onstage and conducts,as live improv. He has a whiteboard he'll give a key,or a quality. He shows it to the audience too,and conducts dynamics,entrances,exits etc with his hands/body. It's brilliant ,cause you get all that energy enthusiasm of jamming with dynamics,contrast and transition you would never get without the conductor editing I could  call what Matt does Live Editing