OT things of sad beauty

Ted wrote:
"And some of the saddest music I have ever heard is on a disk by
Armenian duduk player Djivan Gasparyan called "I Will Not Be Sad in This
World" - quite possibly one of the most profoundly moving CDs in my
entire collection."

I love that record too, Ted..   In fact, I love it so much that I
recently purchased and have been really shedding on a
 really professional duduk from the sadly lamented Rhythm Fusion in
Santa Cruz.

3/4 of my entire collection came from that store, parenthetically,   and
Dror closed the doors this week
after 20 years of being one of the finest ethnic music stores on the
entire planet.   It's the end of an
era, but Dror found me a beautiful hardwood Duduk before he went out of
business.

It's a fascinating instrument:   just playing the open holes like a
recorder produces no useable musical scale
so everything is in half hole playing.

I owned a less professional one and it was incredibly difficult to
play............it took more air than I really have
considering that I suffer from Reactive Airway Disease which limits me
to 1/3 of the lung capacity of a normal adult male.
This new one is so well built and the double reed is a work of art,  so
it's actually pretty easy to play and it has a timbre that is just
beautiful.
I love the Duduk and it doesn't get better than Djivan Gasparyan.

Armenia, where this amazing instrument comes from has a very, very sad
history of oppression and now, consequently, there are Armenians
spread all across the globe.   A beautiful musical culture (and a sad
one, too).