Re: OT: StringPort for polyphonic guitars

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Warren Sirota <wsirota@wsdesigns.com>
wrote:
> i'm sorry, you don't think a hw guitar synth is using d/a converters with
> buffering internally?
>
> time will tell about the latency. literally.

Hope no one minds if I throw in an opinion here, even though Warren
seems to direct the question to Andy. No, I don't think all hardware
guitar synths needs to do D/A... actually it should be A/D (!)
converting. The guitar signal is analog and if the HW synth is also
analog there is no a/d conversion needed. I've played the Roland G300
and it was super fast to trigger! I think it uses control voltage
instead of digital to transfer the string pitch into the synth.
Comparing my MIDI Guitar the MIDI is very slow - and with varying
latency depending what note you play. What I'm finding so interesting
with STringPort is that it "brings each string into the computer as
audio". However the presentation doesn't make it clear if it can be
used as six audio ports in the computer. I'm not very interested in
the "VST Wall", "SMECK" etc applications. Six plain audio inputs for
digitizing would be just fine, so the user can pipe them wherever he
wants to do further processing or D/A amplification.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com