OT: alternative instruments-The Barbed Wire Fence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUARc6ufZAk

This reminded me of an article I read years ago about someone who'd gotten an arts grant to perform a piece in some Scandinavian country, making use of some old telegraph system that was strung through the valleys to allow remote farmhouses to communicate in, I believe, an acoustic manner. Everyone on the line could hear the messages which were sent in some sort of Morse Code type system, but apparently it wasn't used much, or at all. The musician in question wrote a piece that could be performed by, I think, bowing the wire. I think he estimated that no more than fifty people could have heard it.

TH