Re: What does it mean to you, to "release a record"?

Hey Matt,
i am just getting to read this mail which is an excellent topic!

I am still in thought about your comment on CD baby:

>Also, if I was a reviewer, I'd probably be less likely
> to listen to
> anything that comes from CD Baby or any of those other
> sites that
> cater to people who are less serious about their cd
> releases.

Ups, i think most of us here are with CD baby;-)
I think CD baby has been a blessing for independent artists and being
discovered but yes i see your point, i see the danger of such types of
distributors who have wide open arms without many requirements.Ive sold
many CDs from my previous cuban son band through them but almost none of
my original spanish or looping material.All of them are physical CDs and
have been done independently,recorded,produced,packaged etc.but is also
obvious that there is music out there that is more mass appealing than
other.Lately ive been thinking of just pulling the stuff out that has not
sold and keep releasing my own stuff and give it away in concerts,instead
of marketing it which i am also not very good at...i know that with the
limitations of doing everything yourself most likely it will never be as
appealing for reviewers as something backed by an established label.But
then you come across somebody like Jose Gonzalez or Elbow and you canīt
help but having the feeling
 that it can be possible...
Luis