Re: another M13 looper demo/ odd meters using track speed toggling

At 2:56 PM +0100 1/23/09, Per Boysen wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Mech <mech@m3ch.net> wrote:
>>  P.P.S. only eleven more intervals?!?  pshaw!  there's a whole world of
>tones
>  > in between the tones; all you need is a bottleneck slide.  ;)
>
>That's micro tonality, well worth a thread of its own IMHO ;-)

Indeed!  And while we're at it, fretless guitar r00lz!!!  :D

>The reason I mentioned twelve intervals per octave was that I
>commented on Bill's thread about odd meters in rate/speed shifting of
>a loop.
>
>I guess doing "odd meters" in micro tonality - as your reference to
>bottle neck slide implies - would rather apply to "scratching"? Didn't
>we have an interesting thread on that about a month or two ago? I
>remember Aron Leese, Reiner Strashill and Jeff Larsson talking about
>making the looper go into reverse as you slow down pitch and tempo
>continuously. I've never tried to set THAT up with a looper, only that
>classic Repeater patch that syncs pitch and tempo without going into
>reverse. But I have a related software plug-in called Reversinator
>(Mac VST PPC) that goes down with linked tempo and pitch until
>stopping and proceeding "at the other side" in reverse mode - cool
>sounding thing. Too bad so few computers can run it these days.

Oh yeah.  I was socked up with other stuff (again!) and couldn't
reply to that thread then, but take a look at Musolomo for the Mac.
It's now discontinued, but it was free from from Plasq, the same guys
who originally coded Rax.

Oh, it looks like you can still get it here:
http://plasq.com/download/Musolomo-1.1.1beta2.zip

It even had a turntable on the GUI.  You could assign a continuous
controller, and 'scratch' loops in exactly the way you guys were
discussing.  I thought it was pretty cool, myself, but was always
aggravated by the fact that it didn't have any feedback parameter.
However, it was coded by the same guy who did Speedshifter, so it's
Pitch/Time-stretch algorithm was actually pretty good.  And, yeah, it
will go into reverse if you pull the turntable back far enough
(amongst other things).

        --m.
--
_____
"when you think your dreams are shattered, it's time to dream new dreams"