Re: OT DID YOU KNOW? A fascinating and eye opening video about changes in the digital media age

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 1:57 AM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:

>>  but my gut tells me China
>> and India need cultural transformation to take over world leadership.
>
> Errrm... are you perhaps suggesting that the US rules the world???

Oops, sorry. "world leadership" is a poor choice of words isn't it?
Maybe "cultural influence" or "economic influence?" I didn't mean
imply that the US rules the world, only that we live in an era where
the influence of western (not necessarily US) culture and western
corporations is widespread. I'm not saying that's a good thing, just
that it exists.

> I think that India and China are going to sneak up on us, if they havent
> already...

I agree, but I think it might take some time. I should have been
clearer in saying that the numbers don't tell the whole story. For
example, the potential impact of the tremendous number of talented
people in India is mitigated by a caste system that limits their entry
to certain professions.

Sorry to drag this even more Off Topic, Per, I loved your insights and
anecdotes on eastern music. I do love this mailing list!

--
Art Simon
simart@null.net