Re: MySpace headaches... - experience?

Adam Gaskins wrote:
> Very interesting site! I am going to give it a go this evening! I too
> think myspace is on the way out... and I don't like facebook, even
> though everyone is flocking to it...WAY too much BS on there imo...
> Thanks for the virb link!
While I agree with you about how bad MySpace and Facebook are, the point
is that people *are* flocking there.  Entertainers *must* go where the
audience is.  That's just a fact of life if you want to play, record,
have your music heard.  Yes, you will struggle to be heard above the
noise but these sites are still valuable promotional tools, no matter
how loathsome we find them to be.  You can ignore all the games and
group invites for the most part.

Going to places like virb may or may not be of much use.  It's a crap
shoot.  If it is not swamped by the populace, your music will be more
audible above the general din.  And if you get lucky and it becomes
popular, you'll already be there and be established.  But if it is for
musicians and stays that way forever, how much good will it actually do
for you.  What are you going to do, play for other musicians?  Musicians
are too busy composing, rehearsing, sound designing, recording. looking
for gigs, and looking for audiences who will buy their merchandise.

The trick is to find the next MySpace and be there before everyone
else.  I have a notebook of passwords from looking for the next big thing!

Cheers,

Bill