Re: loopers hard talk questions and answers

1. Why loop when you can have a duo a trio or a band?is it due to economics?

Economics.  Ease of schedule coordination.  Ease of travel (no need for gas guzzling van!  Heck, if you keep it really simple you can fly with it).  More creative freedom. More improvisational freedom.  More personal expression.

2.do you really need all that equipment to play solo?ive seen solo players who can entertain us without all of that

Depends on what you're trying to do.  I could put on a show with a rock and whatever is around me.  But it'll sound better if I have my fun toys.

3.nice but to my ears it sounds lifeless and monotonus

Depends what you're listening to, I guess.  This looper likes to utilize structure.

4.why would i pay to see somebody just making noise? my kid could do that

I don't just make noise at all.  I have a love of form, melody, percussion and of "the song" that many electronic musicians don't seem to have.

5.looping seems to me made for self indulged people that arent able to deal with other humans and are incompetent to play the instrument properly without all that equipment

A lot of loopers are like that.  Some aren't.

6. nice but dont you think a Band is still better?

Different.  Each thing carries it's own positives and negatives.  As an electronic musician/looper/real musician, I find having guest musicians for songs/albums/shows helps keep the juices refreshed, but still allows you to put out your personal expression, and utilize all of the benefits listed above.

7.so whats the difference between sampling and looping and sequencing?

Sampling can be done whether it's looped or sequenced.  Looping is live improv when done right, and generally looser, not as tight.  Sequencing is tight because it's prewritten, but hopefully some changes are still being made live.  I do both.

8.what so special about recording different instruments in front of us?

People like to watch monkeys dance.  People know what a guitar/violin/keyboard/etc is and vaguely what that person onstage is doing as they're moving around iwth it.  Not so much when a person is twiddling knobs and flipping sliders and buttons.  People like to feel like they could be doing that; imagine themselves on tage.

a band is better because it has more energy and you can speed up ,slow down and bring dynamics together

You can do that with electronic looping as well; quite easily.

9.nice but it sounds too perfect

Not if you do it right.

10.why do most loopers play alone?

This is the same as your first question, basically.  Personally, I love to work with others.  And I love to work by myself.

Nevyn Nowhere
http://www.happyhumans.org
Sad Music for Happy Humans

cheers