Live Looping: it pops up everywhere

>From a music industry gossip board, the Velvet Rope:

http://velvetrope.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=631998&page=1&gonew=1&sess=cd8bc1e646c5a91f174ad2c8d84ec6a9#UNREAD

"I saw Juana Molina put on a stunning show last night in Los Angeles. Aside from a live rhythm section, Juana creates much of the music creating live loops of her voice, guitar and keyboards through her foot pedals.

It seems that there's been a lot of this going on recently from the likes of Jon Brion, Joseph Arthur, Liam Finn and even the Ting Tings.

Is this a "new movement?" Is there a name for it? I'd be interested in hearing about other artists using similar techniques.

Btw...I'm not talking about electronic/computer based musicians.
We're talking about musicians who actually play and sing live to create loops and layers."