Re: G MAIL?

At 10:33 AM -0800 2/20/09, Rick Walker wrote:

>Google gave up the dissidents'  IP addresses in a heartbeat in China
>and they were sent immediately to jail for a long time.
>Don't think they wouldn't give yours up in  a heartbeat if the heat
>was on from your respective governments.

Aw, darn it Rick.  I hate to be an anorak -- well, at least in this
particular case -- because I somewhat dislike the Google guys too.
They really can be arrogant pr*cks.

However, in the interest of accuracy in reporting: that was Yahoo!
(not Google) that gave up the dissident journalist's IP addresses.

Here's a follow-up article from the Manchester Guardian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/nov/14/news.yahoo

IIRC, Google actually told the Chinese government to go f*ck
themselves until they could come back with a valid subpoena.  This is
the one time where their being self-righteous jerks was actually a
good thing.

That doesn't mean that Google won't give up your personal information
if a governmental body goes through the proper channels, though.  For
example, there's this:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/28/israeli_blogger/

        --m.
--
_____
"Image is blasphemy. Text is heresy. The spoken word is a lie."