Re: basic Bidule question

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Michael Peters <mp@mpeters.de> wrote:
> I'm currently having fun using my new Nanokontrol to control faders in
> Bidule. The Nanokontrol has buttons too. Is it possible to set the
> processing mode of VST instruments using midi? It would be cool to use
>the
> buttons to toggle between "processing" and "mute" so that I can
>completely
> switch off stuff that I don't need at the moment, without fumbling around
> with mouse and context menus. But the "control with midi" menu only
>contains
> all the program internal commands, not the processing mode.

Answer:
Work with the parameter Bidule calls "Processing Mode". It can be sett
to "processing", "bypass" and some other alternatives.

Comment:
Personally I prefer another concept though, which is to use the Bidule
object called "Audio Switcher". It is in essence a big on/off jack
router for both audio signal paths and audio producing virtual
instruments (VST or AU). The Audio Switcher takes an audio input at
the input tags on the roof and directs it to the selected output tag
under the bottom. Each output tag is hard-wired to a MIDI Program
Change (1 - 128) and as you select one, all others are automatically
putting its connected effect/instrument chain into "non processing
mode". This is a total CPU saving method of swapping between up to 128
signal paths, allowing you to build very CPU demanding chains (since
the non working chains are offloaded the CPU). I tend to prefer
setting up the same insruments/effects in many parallel chains
connected to an Audio Switcher, rather than manipulating the Process
Mode of certain devices in the chain. This whole shebang can also be
connected to a Bidule Group (custom made thingy) called "Tail
Preservation" that listens to the signal and fades out a chain you are
leaving so reverb tails and high release sounds will not be
immediately cut by the new signal path taking over.

I don't know what computer you are using, but I have found that Bidule
under Windows has the multi core support working better than the same
Bidule session running under OS X (on the same computer that is, my
MacBook). Just telling, so you won't lose time trying to get the multi
core/processor working under OS X. Bidule is still in beta ;-))

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com