old discussion regarding dynamics

Luca said:
"I didn't go into details, but I think it brings an important
encouragement to avoid brickwall compression."

Sorry Luca, but I believe that a statement like this invalidates
itself simply by not going into the details. To encourage avoiding
brickwall compression (limiting) is as worthless with regard to obtain
optimum results (though not necessarily as bad) as suggesting to get
it "as loud as possible" or that "an average RMS level of -12dB is the
optimum for every rock or pop record".

A brickwall limiter, used properly, can be a very valuable tool both
in live recording, studio tracking and mastering. For some (very
basic) thoughts on the use of limiters (German language article), I
care to suggest this:
http://homerecording.de/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=665

Having said the above, let me say again that yes, I believe there is a
lot of damage done in today's masters and mixes by improper use of
dynamic processing.

Best,

           Rainer

(ps: if anyone cares for a contemporary record with some dynamics
left, check out http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/36542 - self marketing
off)