Re: OT Best Quality Sound Card - Least Amount of Mone

Rick,

after using an RME card for a long time with good results I moved to
a cheap Presonus box for my Mac Mini a couple of years ago. For my
latest solo projects I re-evaluated my recording gear and sadly found
that Apogee simply blew away the Presonus and even RME and Motu. In
the end I found a used MiniMe with the USB output for half the street
price for a new one so I didn't feel so bad after all.

Of course recording fingerpicked solo acoustic guitar is quite a task
and sonic differences are diminishing a little bit when you are
working on louder, densely layered, thicker sounding music. Still I
was shocked at how noisy the Presonus was, how dull and muffled the
Motu sounded and that even the famed Fireface 400 despite it's geat
routing capabilities paled soundwise in direct comparison to the
Apogee. And side by side comparison is the way to go here.

Supposedly there are no big differences in the A/D conversion chips
any more these days so the difference must lie in the analog path to
the converters. That makes sense in a way since e.g. discrete analog
mic pres generally do sound superior to IC-based designs. I have a
couple of old Telefunken V676's here that do sound nicer than the TLA
Ivory channel strips I had and also the bulidt-in mic pre's of the
Apogee. And then there are those old tube Telefunkens they used to
use at Abbey Road studios....

Anyway, I'm curious to hear what you guys have found.