RE: Tuning guitar in fifths for wider orchestration options

I once had a Jerry Donhue Tele with a hipshot bender (10+ years ago). I often play in semi open G by just lowering the A string to G, while doing this i tried to lower the 6th string to C so that 6th, 5th and 4th string were in fitha while 4, 3, 2 and 1 were "normal" this allowed me to do some fun steelguitar sounds with my hipshot B an G benders and have wide chord like on a real pedalsteel.
SO what I'm trying to say combining 5ths and normal tuning is probably easier for most guitarists and you still get a extended range in the base. I just needed a real have 6th string. The advantage was also that i could to all the cool Keith Riffhard stones riff (almost), and have some real wide chords available and still be able to solo on the D to E strings as usual.
I will have to try this tuning on one if my Soloway Swans (27" scale) .
Another idea is to have a hipshot "d-tuner" on the 6th string. Then you could switch between DGDGBE and CGDGBE tunings. The former being close to "real" open G tuning.

So Per yes it would make sense, will by a 060 string and try ASAP . Maybe we got get together some day and you could try a Swan (or 5) and some kooool amps...

Anders
www.soundclick.com/AndersBergdahl