Re: Tuning guitar in fifths for wider orchestration options

Gosh Per, this couldn't have been expressed more clearly!
It's exactly for such reasons I look forward to get rid of those pesky
fixed positions dot inlays - they really disturb my creative mindset.

Further comments @ Mark:

I was so stuck in pentagon patterns from 'traditional' good solid Rock!
A bit weird, as I was once trained in church musick and classical, and
had a keen interest in progressive jazz/fusion for years.

Then for 5 years I didn't touch a guitar after a serious relationship
break, ending in crap basement appartments.  Well, shit happens.. :D
2½ years ago I bough an appartment and starting shopping gear.
In the meantime I had greatly expanded my music interests to the goth-
and black-metal stuff incorporating weird scales and intonations from
east-european, arab and indian music..  the works..

So, I've methodically worked on *not* thinking in traditional fixed
terms, trained on building up slow runs with the ability to move freely
over the whole board, incorporating the mentioned non-western scales.
I also re-learned my positioning with thump-under, using all four
fingers, and precision equal-up-down picking technique.
As a result I can now move most everywhere with good confidence, speed
and precision is rapidly improving, and I can move in and out of styles
and scales.

I often just try 'something' to see what happens, tonal-wise, and is
often rewarded with interesting harmonies.
I admit I have a lot of theory to read up on, to understand it all, but
do not see this as a problem.
The most important change for has been freeing up my mindset.

So, when I try a new tuning, it's like 'now, what can this baby do..' ;)

--
rgds,
van Sinn