Re: OT: Tuning guitar in fifths for wider orchestration options

I haven't looked into either solutions for a long time: costs! 8-(
However, I did wonder how micro-motor driven tuners on the headstock
would stay stable, given that strings will be dragged over the nut.

I'd think the Trans Performance system will be much more stable, as it
features motor driven tuners as part of the bridge, i.e. akin to a
headless tuner system.
I once saw a vid of Page demonstrating the system; very impressive!
Also, this system can hold a large number of tunings, whereas the tuner
peg system can only do 5-7, IIRC.

Whichever solution, it still means slacking and tensioning strings.  I'm
pretty sensitive to tension, so while a few 'nearby-related' tunings
might work fine, retuning to quite varying systems seems less feasible.

Two applications which might work really well would be a fretless guitar
and a slide axe.
Elsewhere in this really interesting thread, it was mentioned that
certain tunings, open ones included, too easily leads to getting stuck
in a groove
That's how I feel about slide works; open-E soon gets immensily boring.
Ability to retune between various open and whatever tunings on the fly
*while* playing the slide..  now, that would be really interesting :nod:

Dreams are the stuff life is made of...   now, where's the money?

--
rgds,
van Sinn