RE: Stories

And that's the difference between music and stories, a musical piece (or a painting )can be just beautiful, it doesn't NEED a story.  It can be just what it is, without name, myth or model.
Every listener can, id the want to attach a story to it, but the piece is not a story. It doesn't need a meaning or contain a message, it just IS.
My objection is that by calling musical pieces stories we reduce the content of the music. I think that music is more basic than words, a story can describe a piece of music it can't BE the music. Turning a story into music is the other way around, we go behind the words and try to capture the feelings the words describe. Along with Wittgenstein i believe that we are trapped in language, music is one way to escape. At least for a while. When i play a seldom THINK (in words,) i just DO.

Maybe some abstract art is out chance to be a chimpanzee :-)

Anders