Re: how do you loop?

For solo looping I have recently started using software for looping and
processing (Mobius, Audiomulch, various vsts). Playing in groups, or for
solo gigs where looping is only a small part of the performance, I use
hardware (DL4, various effects).

I first started using looping some years ago to build up
drones/atmospheres/soundscapes, but more recently I do a certain amount of
melodic/harmonic/rhythmic looping, as the mood takes me. My main
instruments
for live looping are guitar and cello. Almost all of  the music I play is
improvised.

With Mobius I use between two and four tracks, not synchronised. If I want
synchronised layers of the same length I do that all in one track, the
same
as I would with the dL4.

I have never tried looping synchronised to other players and the idea of
it
fills me with horror. I may have a go at it one day though, just as am
experiment to see what happens.

Three things you simply must listen to if you never have:
Jon Rose and Veryan Weston - Temperament
Giacinto Scelsi - The Complete Works for Clarinet
Crass - Penis Envy

Steve

Steve Moyes
www.stevemoyes.org.uk