Re: how do you loop?

Nevyn Nowhere wrote:
> I'm sure this has been asked many times throughout the existence of this
> list; I've even seen a couple folks talk of such things recently, but
> not a thread devoted to it.
>
> So I, and probably others, wonder:
>
> How do you loop?

I think about creating with sound a series of scenes that have
a particular feel/atmosphere.

To achieve this I explore all the usual resources available to
a composer, including the often forgotten one of melody. However
I also look to the possibilities offered by looping devices,
and to some extent use their limitations as a compositional device.

Improvisation and composition are freely combined, but by the time
I get to live performance there's usually a tendency to
play things that are planned.

> What is your ideal setup and process,

HofnerSGguitar(or other)>>high quality pre-amp>>laptop running bidule(vst
plugins)>>JBL Eon speakers.
controlled by Gordius Little Giant.

but would have to be a laptop setup with less latency than is currently
common.
..and Matthias would have to finish the software EDP
..and I'd have to write a Vortex emulator plugin, at least to
   cover my essential sounds.

Really though, I find that working with a non-ideal setup is quite
stimulating.
If the looper won't do exactly what you want, then it's often the
workaround
for that which ends up making the piece interesting.

>and what is your
> usual setup and process?

solo

HofnerSGguitar>>EH Stereo Memory Man>>ADA MP1(pre)>>Vortex>>2xEDP>>rack
mixer>>JBL Eon Speakers.
controlled by Gordius Little Giant.

with band (not much looping) I have the EH Stereo Memory Man.

>Whether you use hardware/software/a mix of
> both (ok, I'm slanted, I'm always more curious about the last, since
> that is how I like to go, but I'm curious about it all, as from time to
> time I do the other options as well), I'd like to know your live process.

Essentially, the EDPs are a stereo pair, and are used for layering and
editing.
The EH-SMM and Vortex can be used to create loops that can be resampled
onto the edps.

I have a number of loop strategies, which can be used for a particular
piece, or
as a framework for improv.

> Yes, I should specify, this about LIVE setups/processes, etc.
>
> Looking forward to hearing how we all do our thing!
>
> -nn
> happyhumans.org <http://happyhumans.org>
>
> PS: Feel free to reply offlist, but I'd also like 2-3 suggestion from
> anyone and everyone on the list of music/musicians/etc that I simply
> must listen to.  Your absolute favorite 2-3 (and yes I know there is
> always a time and place, but let's look overall).  I crave new input,
> but not an overload of!

Bartok - String Quartet No 4
Messian - Quartet for the End of Time (a couple of versions at least)
Ornette Coleman

:-) hey, I'm *serious* today

andy butler