Re: electrix MO-FX

Luis Angulo wrote:

*"Hey Rick by the way bro you have an amazing collection of FX at your
place!are u
planing on keeping them to some day build an FX museum;-?   but what i
find funny is that in your collection i
didnt see many 60s and 70s efx,were you not interested in FX back then?"*

Well, I've been a drummer for 41 years and a percussionist for 30 years
so I had to spend some time
actually learning how to play those instruments before I got into all
this stomp box nonsense.

Seriously, though,   I've always loved production and knowing how sounds
were made in records and at live gigs.
I'm also what you could call an exoti-philic.    I just love new things
and new sounds.
Early on this resulted in me trying to find every unusual percussion
instrument, drum and cymbal that I could,
but I saw UltraVox early on (late 70's) which was the first time I ever
saw someone use a drum machine live with a
drummer and it just rocked my world and I became fascinated by drum
machines and drum synthesizers.

I also loved analogue synths from the moment I heard them.  I just
didn't have the money to buy them
and, viz a vis stomp box pedals,  In Tao Chemical in the early 80'I
discovered that if I put my cheesy cheap Casio keyboard through
guitar effects pedals that it sounded like a synthesizer.   In this
way,  I could to make new exotic sounds.
Champagne living on a Beer budget.

I also have to say that my brother has always been a pioneer.......way
ahead of the curve in effects processing so
I got to learn a lot by just watching what he bought.

He was amazing,  he'd buy something that I thought was the cats meow;
play it for six months;  discover something else
and sell the first thing to afford the second one.   He went through so
many different combinations of effects, guitars, amps,
strings.      Whenever he posts here dispensing guitar wisdom about gear
I listen up because his knowledge is so
deep.

We both share that almost compulsive desire to know as much as we can
about a music object.   I purchased every single
drum head on the market;  every single die cast and triple flanged rim,
every normal and synthetic stick,   every mallet,  every brush ;every
material
of drum shell...............all one by one ,  just to really deeply know
what was out there and how it sounded.........what was the best for what
situation.
This makes it sound like I had a lot of money to spend.   Au
Contraire!    I spent every dime I made on equipment......still do, to
this day.
It's not very practical, but I just had to know.   You know?