Re: OT That 'sizzle sound' of Mp3s+ hifi tips

for completeness, I should mention that the
most popular lossless compression system on windows seems
to be FLAC,
and that another possibility is "Shorten"
Those have their own free downloadable software
for file conversion. (google 'em)

For high quality listening on a (relative) budget,
I'd suggest a pair of Genelec powered monitors.
Not cheap as such,  but cheap considering their performance.
I reckon they'd fairly cheerfully out shine an amp and
speakers of comparable price from the "hi-fi" stores.
(but *don't* just take my word for that)

...and for those of us who still spin cds, my
latest discovery is to use a Philips DVP3005
DVD player just for it's audio.
Dirt cheap on Ebay, (like £20), but I honestly
couldn't hear a difference between that and a v.good £200
cd player ( and hardly any difference to a £500 Teac player)
(don't risk similar models tho', very disappointing).

andy butler