Re: OT Creativity and Education: a thought provoking talk by Sir Ken Robinson at the TED CONFERENCE

> For those of us who are musicians some of his thoughts resonate. How
> many of us have been told by well-meaning parents or others to do
> something "practical" rather than to pursue music?

Yes, me. But it's the nature of parents to wish the best for their
kids...they don't like to take riscs. This limits the development of the
creative skills at a young age unless you have a very strong personality.

On the other hand, musical institutions often use the "classical" approach
to learn you everything about music, but something like "improvisation" is
usually not on the menu. Maybe in jazz.

I'm taking lessons at a music academy twice a week. Some guys in my class
know I'm making improv music but they don't understand how you do that,
they think you're coming from outerspace. It's not possible to make/play
music without taking instrument lessons first for 5 years.

Imo education is too much driven by theory and technique. They forget the
creative part. That's why I'm thinking of doing some workshops about what
I do...can't wait to see those eyes ;)

---
Sjaak
http://euroloopfest.com/