Bidule CPU multi-core support on Mac seems fine now

Hi,

Earlier I have posted on this list that it seemed Bidule's multi core
support is not very good on Mac, compared to Windows XP that was using
before. But with the latest version 0,9686 Plogue has addressed this
OS X issue. So I just want to put the record straight.

I'm checking out the 0,9686 host now on a Macbook and it runs smooth
peaking at "32 % - 32 %" when using lots of alternative effect chains
(like 20 different "pedal-boards" to play through) pre looper (Mobius
VST). Post looper I have each one of the eight looper channels passing
through an EQ (taking out sub frequencies that is born when pitching
down loops 4 octaves), some dynamic effect (like auto-pan, phaser or
granular synthesis plug-in RiverRun) and finally a compressor. This
means that when the eight looper channels are to be summed at the
output stage there is not much foul audio in the digital streams.

The looping rig can be set up just as any good studio mix and this
Bidule version is what makes that possible for me. I'm all excited
with this efficient multi-core CPU handling!

It is a little tricky though, to try out which plug-ins that can be
assigned to Multi Procerror Mode and and which can not. Not even the
developers know, so you have to research that by trial and error. For
example, my Sonalksis EQ works well under MP but not Sonalksis
Compressor. After some fiddling around I found a good spread of MP vs
Non MP assignments for plug-ins to reach the 32%-32% sweet-spot where
audio output is crystal clear and no crashing even on a bad day.

Plug-ins used in total:
60 SoundToys Native Bundle (20 alternative sound patches where only
the active patch is taxing the CPU),
9 Sonalksis SV-517,
9 Sonalksis SV-315,
6 Pluggo Audio Rate Pan,
1 Pluggo Granular To Go,
1 AudioEase RiverRun,
1 Mobius VST looper

Just mic inputs so far and no virtual instruments and guitar
distortion patches yet, but I will expand this rig into that direction
as I get there. Experience tells that won't increase the CPU load,
since it is all happening at the input and pre looper sound patch area
- where modules not in use are muted and offloaded the CPU.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com