Re: thinking about moving from rack to laptop...advice please!

Me too.  Before I I wanted to use my drum machine as a carrier for a
vocoder, it involved a bunch of reconfiguring of a very complex set
up. 9 out of 10 times I'd think of something and realize the work I
had to do to move things around and repatch everything and I'd give
up.  If a cool idea took nearly an evening to set up and get working
right, and there are not many evenings I could spend doing music in
the first place, you have to make sacrifices.  Sometimes I'd buy
duplicates of gear for dedicated processing just to get more
flexibility.

Now, I don't make those sacrifices.   Oh, and that vocoder?  When I
bought the hardware one it was a single entity.  Now it can be as many
as my processor allows.  Same with all the synths and effects.  A
configuration that would take all night to set up and thousands of
dollars to duplicate now happen in minutes.

Yeah, some degree of tactile response has been lost and that's a
shame.  Novation and Automap have done a lot in the way of making the
software world better, but it's not perfect.  I imagine at some point
things like the Jazz Mutant Lemur will be inexpensive enough to become
commonplace and then it's game over: Computers win.  Even now, I'm so
used to programming effects and synth software with a mouse that the
only time I need "control" is via floor pedals (2 Behringer FCB1010s
and a IK Multimedia Stealthpedal do the trick)  I'm an
instrumentalist, not really a knob tweaker.