Re: thinking about moving from rack to laptop...advice please!

First of all, there is no god, let's get that out of the way. ;)

I notice no depreciation of overall "sound" compared to when I was
hardware bound.  Most hardware these days is software running on
dedicated hardware anyway.  Special dedicated hardware might do it
faster with less latency, but 1+1 is always 2.  This becomes a more
slippery slope when emulating pure analog hardware, but there have
been some amazing advancements over the last few years.   I've owned a
ton of guitar amps over the years (literally a ton) and I don't think
my guitar sound has ever been better than what I'm able to come up
with using various flavors of Amplitube. (note: this is an emulation
of stomp box effects, amps, and a mic'd cab and rack gear, so it's not
going to be the same as a real amp in a room)  As for synths?  I hear
a lot of people say analog hasn't and maybe will never be perfectly
emulated, but I say that's poppycock.  I spent a lot of time looking
for this "analog magic" and I found next to nothing.  Experts are
continuously baffled by blind comparisons.  Listen to some demos of
one of the more "vintagey" VAs I've found:

http://admiralquality.com/products/Poly-Ana/

Guitar players didn't fare really well in this showdown:

http://emusician.com/tutorials/showdown-clubhouse-amp-software/index.html

So, will your software rig sound the same as your current hardware
rig?  No.  It most definitely won't. Will it sound worse?  That's up
to you.   In many ways I think my setup sounds better than it ever
has.   Luckily, most software comes with a demo so you can try before
you buy.