New free toys in Mac v10.5

I just happened to se these developer release notes on Mac OS X v10.5:
http://bit.ly/KZpDk

I'm particularly excited over the part labeled Core Audio (quoting:)

Core Audio includes the following new features in Mac OS X v10.5:

  • A set of high-level services for playing and recording digital audio; see “Audio Queue”
  • Support for OpenAL v1.1; see “OpenAL”
  • An updated version of the AU Lab application; see “AU Lab”
  • The new HAL Lab application for testing and debugging audio hardware and drivers.
  • New audio unit properties in the Audio Unit framework that let audio units send MIDI data to host applications
  • A new set of high-level services (called Audio File Stream Services) in the Audio Toolbox framework for reading non random-access audio streams.
  • Four new panner audio units (based on the new AUPannerBase class) that support surround sound:
    • The sound field panner unit (AUSoundFieldPanner)
    • The spherical head panner unit (AUSphericalHeadPanner)
    • The vector panner unit (AUVectorPanner)
    • The head-related transfer function (HRTF) panner unit (HRTFPanner)

Seems you will be able to mock up some really cool future instruments for mac laptop musicians!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com