Re: octave shifter for winds

I use a TC Helicon Voiceworks with a soprano sax. It does multi-voice pitch-shifting, so you can channel Jon Hassell and play parallel chords. The Voiceworks is a bit expensive, and TC also has some pitch-related stomp boxes as well; they may be cheaper. Note that pitch-shifting by as much as an octave might lead to some formant weirdness/chipmunkification, if you care.

As a point of interest, the Voiceworks also lets you play non-parallel chords--you feed in an audio signal, and play the notes you want on a MIDI keyboard to generate chords via pitch-shifting. As a wind player, that probably isn't of interest to you, unless you're willing to learn to play keyboard with your toes.