Re: volume frustration

Michael Peters wrote:
> This is probably a stupid question but at the moment I'm not sure where
> look.
>
> I have this Soloette classical guitar with headphones output. When I
>plug my
> headphones into the guitar, the sound is very bright and loud. But it is
> also completely dry. So I plugged it into my Verbzilla to add a bit of
> reverb. It works ok as a stompbox under regular circumstances but when I
> plug my (stereo) headphones into the (mono) output of the Verbzilla (or
>the
> DL-4, this is true probably for other stompboxes too), the volume is only
> half of what it used to be.
>
> I'm not sure why this happens. Is it due to my dabbling with the
>stereo/mono
> adapters that I use? What would be the optimal way to transfer the two
> separate 1/4" jack outputs from the Verbzilla to the one stereo headphone
> jack of the headphone? without any loose contact problems?
>
> Or <gasp> is it the stompbox itself that reduces the volume?
>
> -Michael

Without knowing the input impedance of the headphones, the output
impedance of the Verbzilla, the current drive capability of the
Verbzilla, etc. it's hard to tell.    A line output won't drive
headphones as well as an actual amp designed for the task.  Also, if
you're sending amono signal directly to both ears of the headphones with
what is effectively a Y connection, they are now in parallel and
therefor half the impedance of each ear independently driven.  That is
itself can lower the volume.  Feed the verb's outputs to a headphone amp
or mixer having a headphone output.

Cheers,

Bill